You’ve been asked to create a Christmas Gift List and you don’t know where to start. Well we have some tips and ideas to help you create a Great Christmas List in about 15 – 20 minutes.
The first step is to set aside the time to create the list and have a paper and pen or computer so you can create your list.
Then relax and start to think about gifts in 3 ways.
What items do I need? While these may not be the most exciting gifts, the fact is you will use it and it makes your life better. Examples: New Towels, sheets, work shoes, tires for the car or new coat
These are items you want but don’t necessarily need. For kids, these are the toys they want and for adults these tend to be gadgets, new clothes, jewelry, music, trips, experiences, hobbies, collectible gifts and accessories.
What gifts lift your spirits and make you feel good. While these might be wants they are often things that make your day and make you smile inside and out. Examples would be Godiva chocolate, homemade cookies, Starbucks gift card, going to a spa, a dinner theater or sporting event.
Now before you start creating your Christmas list, reflect on past gifts and mentally review which gifts you treasure and enjoyed, which ones you use and which ones sit collecting dust.
Now you are about ready to begin, but first a few quick notes.
1. Write down the first thing that comes to mind whether large or small.
2. There are no wrong answers
3. If you are stump, reflect on the last time you thought “I could really use…” or just move on to the next question.
Let’s Get Started
Quickly List 3 – 5 answers (or more) for each question.
1. I need the following items for home / apartment?
Tip: Personal care, kitchen, living room, basic necessities…
2. I need the following items for work / school?
Tip: Car care - transportation, computer, briefcase / backpack items, office, books…
3. I need the following items for personal development / health?
Tip: Courses, books, vitamins, fitness items – If not applicable move on.
4. What home / apartment gift would make my live easier?
5. What work gift would make my life easier?
6. List up to 3 items you use most often. Now are there 1 to 3 accessories / upgrades that would improve or increase enjoyment these items.
7. List up to 3 of your favorite hobbies or sports. What gifts would increase the enjoyment of these sports or hobbies list 1 – 3 items.
8. If you need or want clothing complete the following:
My sizes are:
I would enjoy receiving: Knit shirts, sweaters, pants, jeans, etc… (List 3 or 4)
My 3 Favorite stores are:
My 3 Favorite brands are:
9. List 3 Reward Gifts
10. List 3 gifts inspired by or that allows you to have fun.
Congratulations, you should now have between 20 to 100 gift ideas.
If you don’t you should have at least several good ideas and maybe you need to take a break and come back in a day and go through the question again. Another idea would be to go to my site Gift Idea Center and look at relevant pages and see if any of the items interest you. Amazon would be another site to visit for ideas.
Once you have your gift ideas, you can fine tune the list and come up with your top 10 or 20 items that you need or would like to receive this Christmas.
When making your final Christmas gift list make sure you include items of various prices and if you have set a price limit make sure all of your gifts fall in the agreed upon price limits.
I hope this Christmas Gift List exercise helps you and your loved ones have a Happy Holiday Season.
The Gift Guy - Gift Idea Center
Check out our Christmas Gifts, Christmas Shop, Gift Baskets, Toys and more.
* Gift Idea Center may receive compensation if a purchase or click thru is made through one of the links in this blog